FA Cup 1st Round roundup- Marine shock Colchester. Lynn triumph at Vale

FA Cup 1st round is always a big date in the footballing calendar for the Non-League pyramid. The chance to pit themselves against football league clubs is what the cup is all about.

The romance of the FA Cup is about the giant killing involving the lower clubs, not about the Premiership clubs. These clubs regularly discard the competition and are only interested if they get into the semi-finals and beyond.

Very profitable day for non-league sides

On Saturday no less than nine non-league clubs booked their place in the second round proper.

Neil Young’s Marine led the way with a penalty shoot out victory against League Two side Colchester United. They are joined in the hat by step 4 side Canvey Island.

Wins for King’s Lynn Town, Darlington and Stockport County

King’s Lynn Town won at League One side Port Vale, while National League North side Darlington beat League One Swindon Town.

Stockport County despatched Rochdale with Dagenham and Redbridge knocking out Grimsby Town.

More misery for league two side Southend United

Boreham Wood saw of bottom of League Two Southend United. Brackley defeated Bishops Stortford on penalties with Yeovil beating Bromley.

Glory, Glory for Marine

Northern Premier League Division One North West side Marine took all the glory after knocking out Colchester United in Essex. Marine won 4-3 on penalties after the tie finished 1-1 after extra time.

Michael Howard was the hero for the minnows after putting away the crucial spot kick.

Elliott Ronto’s second half goal was enough to see of Banbury United 2-1 on Saturday.

National League side King’s Lynn Town knocked out League Two side Port Vale thanks to a Sonny Carey winner.

National League North side Darlington knocked out League One side Swindon Town at the County Ground. Former Newcastle striker Adam Campbell struck twice to send the Wiltshire side crashing out of the cup.

National League side Boreham Wood shocked bottom of League Two Southend to knock the Shrimpers out of the competition.

After 120 minutes of play, both sides couldn’t be separated with the score 3-3. It went down to a penalty shoot out with Wood prevailing 4-3.

At St. James Park Brackley Town needed penalties to see off Bishop Stortford 3-2 after the game finished 3-3.

Glovers see off Bromley

In theall National League tie between Bromley and Yeovil Town, it was the Glovers Gabriel Rogers who nabbed the winner. The West country side grabbing the deciding goal in added time in extra time.

In other ties at the Longmead Stadium National League South side Tonbridge Angels lost 7-0 to League Two side Bradford City.

National League side Woking looked on course for a cup shock after leading Gillingham 2-0. Goals from Max Kretzschmar and Josh Davison. League One Gils hit back immediately when Dominic Samuel netted. Samuels bagged his second of the afternoon to draw Gillingham level. The comeback was completed in the 79th minute when Vadaine Oliver broke Woking hearts by nodding in the winner.

So, all in all a very rewarding day for the non-league teams in the cup. Many of them were victorious on their travels. This can be put down to all games played behind closed doors. Undoubtably, this will favour the lower sides as will the excellent decision to scrap replays.

Leave a Reply